After you upgrade to Windows 10, and you face an error while launching Microsoft Word 2013 that looks similar as below:
We're sorry, but Word has run into an error that is preventing it from working correctly. Word will need to be closed as a results. Would you like us to repair now?
And then further, upon opening other applications of Microsoft Office like Excel, you’ll find above similar error, only the name
Word would be replaced by
Excel. And upon running the repair task doesn’t help. Neither the quick repair nor online repair would help. Also, uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft Office won’t help, and the issue would still repeat.
Fix Word Has Run Into An Error That is Preventing It From Working Correctly in Windows 10
This issue happens because Microsoft Office applications after an upgrade, are running in your computer on Compatibility mode. During the update, because of internal settings in Microsoft Office, all applications like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc. configure themselves to work in compatibility mode. It’s because, if the program is not yet compatible with Windows 10, it’ll still keep working automatically in compatibility mode of the Previous operating system. But for a few users, this creates an issue and produce the above-said error. Hence, to resolve this issue, you have to disable compatibility mode for your Office 2013. Here’s what you need to do:
When on Desktop, right-click on Start Menu (press and hold the icon if using from a touchscreen device) and select
Type in following command in the Run dialog box and press Enter:
%systemdrive%\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15
Above command would open
Office15 folder from Program Files and then you need to locate following files:
- For Microsoft Word, find
winword.exeor just WINWORD
- For Microsoft Excel, find
excel.exeor just EXCEL
- For PowerPoint, find
powerpoint.exeor just POWERPOINT
- For Outlook. find
outlook.exeor just OUTLOOK
- For Access, find
msaccess.exeor just MSACCESS
Likewise above, every application which you have installed in your computer of Microsoft Office, find those and do the following procedure for each file:
- Right-click on respective files above and select Properties.
- When WORD or EXCEL or POWERPOINT or OUTLOOK or MSACCESS Properties dialog box opens, locate Compatibility Tab.
- Now, Uncheck the checkbox “Run this program in compatibility mode for:”
- Click OK.
You’re done fixing the issue. If by chance, Compatibility tab doesn’t appear for you, then you need to do the following tasks on each file located in the above solution like Word, Excel, etc.:
- Right-click on the file (
excel.exeor others stated above), and select
- When Program Compatibility Troubleshooter opens, select
Try recommended settings.
- This would apply the recommended settings to the application. Now click,
Test the Program,and if you’re being asked for allowing this process or not, click Yes.
- The above step would remove the setting of running the application in compatibility mode and shall open that application whose settings you just fixed by using troubleshooter. The application now should open without any issue.
- Come back to troubleshooter and click Next.
- Now, select “Yes, save these settings for this program.”
- Close the Troubleshooter.
Now, you’re done fixing the startup issue of Microsoft Office applications on Windows 10. Here’s a related video we found on youtube for this.