Cortana is a Siri-like voice assistant feature, which has been ported from Windows Phone to Windows 10. Cortana has been a major spotlight for Windows 10, and Microsoft has done it’s best to market this feature as a useful technology for consumers. However, many users are finding Cortana annoying and wants to disable it completely. Makes sense, as if you have such feature in mobile, people would use it, however on a PC, where your mouth is much far from microphone and then you’ve a full fledged keyboard and a mouse at your disposal, there isn’t much use of Cortana at any point. nor it doesn’t make any sense to use it. It’ll take less type and efforts to type a query, rather than you may first speak and then it’ll analyze your query and then execute it.
How to Completely Disable Cortana in Windows 10?
- Open Cortana from the taskbar or start menu.
- Go to Settings of Cortana by clicking the button on top left.
- Switch off all toggles which may initiate any trigger for Cortana to work even in background.
Next Step is to remove Cortana from the Taskbar.
- Right click on sidebar.
- Open Search Menu and select “Disabled“.
- This Cortana shall not be initiated now automatically.
Now even when you’ve disabled Cortana, you’ll still find it working in the background.
Hence, to remove it completely, we have to remove it from it’s path. Bit of a hacking kind of method. So, here’s what we need to do:
- Open Task Manager.
- In Processes tab, select Cortana and right click on it.
- Select “Open File Location“, Cortana folder would be opened from where it is getting executed.
- Go back one level in folder path i.e. to SystemApps and find folder of Cortana. Most likely you’ll find it with a name starting from:
Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_randomcode (where random code can vary with versions)
- Now, go back to task manager and right click on Cortana process and click “End Task“.
- Now go back to located Cortana folder and rename it, add prefix or completely change the name.
You can remove Cortana or any other System App this way.
- Open Windows Powershell or Windows Powershell ISE with administrator access
- Then Type following command:
Get-AppxPackage | Select Name, PackageFullName
This command shall lists all packages installed in your computer. Now find the package name of cortana and run following command:
Usually applications packages name would be same for everyone. Hence i have added cortana package name in above command, which you can copy paste to execute in your command prompt for removing cortana package completely.