Wifi not working has emerged as one of the most common issue for users who upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or 8. And even when Windows shows that you have the most updated driver, still your WiFi won’t work. So, the solution of this issue can vary from brand to brand and from model to model as the required driver of Wireless device would vary too.
Fix WiFi not working issue in HP Pavilion & Compaq having Windows 10
Since HP Pavilion series have Ralink RTXXXX 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adaptor in it, Microsoft shall not be able to find the update driver of it. May be they don’t have the updated driver in their database. Also, wireless adapter of Ralink is there in many models of HP Pavilion series. Hence, if your laptop is one of the model of them, you can check if your laptop is having one of the following Ralink adapters or not?
- 802.11n Wireless PCI Express Card LAN Adapter
- Mediatek MT7630E 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter
- Ralink RT3090 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
- Ralink RT3290 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter
- Ralink RT3592 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi Adapter
- Ralink RT5390 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
- Ralink RT5390R 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
Although there are many models i am not aware of would have wireless adapter from above list, but i am not aware of it. So, i am making a list of the models i know which has above said wireless adapters. In case your model is not listed, you can check by yourself which wireless adapter you have in your laptop? Supported HP Pavilion G6 Series models list:
- HP Pavilion G6-1240sa
- HP Pavilion P6755sc
- HP ProBook 450 G0 Notebook PC
- HP ProBook 470 G0 Notebook PC
- HP ProBook 440 G0 Notebook PC
- HP ProBook 430 G1 Notebook PC
- HP ProBook 455 G1 Notebook PC
- HP ProBook 445 G1 Notebook PC
- HP ProBook 450 G1 Notebook PC
- HP ProBook 470 G1 Notebook PC
- HP ProBook 440 G1 Notebook PC
- HP Notebook 15
- HP Notebook 15 TouchSmart
- Compaq 15 TouchSmart Notebook PC
- Compaq 15 Notebook PC
- Compaq 14 Notebook PC
- Compaq 14 TouchSmart Notebook PC
- HP Notebook 14 TouchSmart
- HP Pavilion x360 Notebook PC
- HP 255 G3 Notebook PC
- HP 245 G3 Notebook PC
- HP 250 G3 Notebook PC
- HP 256 G3 Notebook PC
- HP 246 G3 Notebook PC
- HP 240 G3 Notebook PC
- HP 23-g0xx PC
- HP 23-h0xx PC
- HP 21-h0xx PC
- HP 23″ TouchSmart 23-f2XX PC
- HP ENVY Recline 23-xxx All-in-One PC
- HP ENVY Phoenix 810-0xx PC
- HP Pavilion 500-axx PC
- HP Pavilion 500-0xx PC
How to check which wireless adapter you have?
Open start menu and type
device manager, open the search result of
Device Manager and navigate to
Network Adapters , open it check which wireless adapter you have.
Download Ralink Wireless Adapter for HP Pavilion Series
So, the driver you need for list of adapters i have mentioned above is:
MediaTek (Ralink) Wireless LAN Adapter Driver | Download
Applicable for both Windows 10 32 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
Above said driver is the latest updated driver for Windows 10. And this driver contains the driver installation package for the Mediatek (Ralink) wireless LAN Controller in the supported notebook models running a supported operating system. It provides the WHQL driver initial release to support Windows 10.
Drivers of HP Pavilion Which Are Not Supported Officially by HP for Windows 10
List of HP Pavilion models which don’t have officially Wireless Adapter driver for Windows 10:
- HP Pavillion DV6-6c80el
- HP Pavilion g4 Notebook PC Series
- HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC Series
- HP Pavilion g7 Notebook PC Series
- HP ProBook 4230s Notebook PC
- HP ProBook 4330s Notebook PC
- HP ProBook 4331s Notebook PC
- HP ProBook 4430s Notebook PC
- HP ProBook 4431s Notebook PC
- HP ProBook 4435s Notebook PC
- HP ProBook 4436s Notebook PC
- HP ProBook 4530s Notebook PC
- HP ProBook 4535s Notebook PC
- HP ProBook 4730s Notebook PC
Download Wireless driver for above models:
Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Driver | Download
If installing the native way i.e. automatic install doesn’t work for you, then install the driver manually for it.
- Right click on the respective wireless adapter in Device Manager
- Select Properties > Driver > Update Driver
- Select Browser my computer for driver software
- Give it the path where above said mentioned driver extracted his files and click Next.
- It’ll automatically pick the driver from the path and install it.
If it still can’t work, first uninstall or Roll back wireless driver before updating it manually as i mentioned above.